Our #StrongYogi pose of the month is Vashistasana, or side plank. Side plank is a really difficult pose that requires a lot of upper body strength, but do not be intimidated!
There are a number of different variations, and you can find one to fit your body’s needs. It strengthens the arms, back, core, and wrists. It also increases your sense of balance.
1. Start in a high plank, or top of a push up.
2. Plant your right hand in front of you, underneath your right shoulder.
3. Spin both heels to the right side of the mat and spin your toes to the left side.
4. Open up your chest, shoulders, core, and legs to the left side of the room and lift your left arm to the sky.
5. Keep reaching the hips up as you engage the core.
6. Let the gaze follow your lifted hand.
To modify: drop your bottom right knee to the ground and use the knee and shin as a kickstand on the ground. This will offer extra support for your right wrist and shoulder.
What #StrongYogi pose do you want to see broken down? We’ll gladly post about it for you.