Thanksgiving is a time for family where most reflect on the good and positive aspects of their lives. However, during this time of gratefulness and relaxation, we also tend to eat. And eat a LOT! From the turkey to the pumpkin pie and everything in-between, you probably find yourself wondering how you can enjoy all the amazing food and stick to a healthy diet.
Though it may seem impossible, you can still enjoy all the delicious food on Thanksgiving Day without losing your waistline. Below we have listed a few key tips on how to stay healthy during Thanksgiving, along with some healthy recipe ideas for the big day. So whether you are hosting the holiday or heading over to someone’s home enjoy this special time with your family and fix them something you can feel good about serving.
- Drink lots of water. Yes there is probably apple cider and alcohol aplenty; however, the most important drink for you to have is water. Drinking water helps to flush out toxins from your body and helps speed up digestion, all while hydrating your system. So allow yourself one or two tasteful drinks, but the rest of the time opt for good old H2O.
- Whether you are hosting or not, you will likely be up early preparing something which means you have plenty of time for breakfast. Yes, you might think skipping all meals until the big feast will help you to not overeat, however that couldn’t be further from the truth. Eating a hearty breakfast will get your metabolism going and set you up for a successful day of nourishment so start your morning off right.
- Allow for some exercise time on the big day and the day after. Even if Thanksgiving Day only gives you 15 minutes for a walk or jog, take advantage. And when you are feeling full and tired on Friday, make yourself workout. Trust me, you will feel better once you’ve exercised.
- Talk to your friends and family while you are eating. Not only will it help you catch up with those you have not seen in a while, but it will help you slow down your eating and in turn, help you know when you are full. Also, opt out of seconds and save them for tomorrow.
- Enjoy the day. Savor the time with your loved ones and the tasty food on your plate. And if you do end up eating more than you planned, don’t beat yourself up for it. We are all human and you can resume healthy eating and exercise on Friday.
If you are looking for some healthy Thanksgiving Day recipes, you can find them at the following sites.
What is your favorite healthy Thanksgiving recipe?