I don’t know about you, but it feels like the holidays are flying by in my house. The end of the year is quickly approaching and it seems like there is still so much left to do. From the travelling to the baking to the last minute shopping, I find myself wondering how will I get it all done in time and on budget!
For the longest time, when things got “too busy,” I would push exercise out the window. Who has time to hit up the gym or take a yoga class when there is so much work to be done during the holiday season?! However, as the years have passed by, I have learned that even taking five minutes to just sit down and breathe helps my stress level diminish greatly. Exercise and meditation are wonderful ways to center yourself and calm down the high stress levels that tend to be seen during the holiday season. The following are just a few of the many different options you have to help you relax during this time of year – and most of them won’t even cost you a penny!
- Dance – this is an easy one and you can actually do it while getting other stuff done around the house! All I do is put on some Christmas music and dance with my son while we bake, pick up toys, etc. He has fun, I have fun and we get a little bit of exercise; what could be better than that?
- Breathing exercises – these are a great way to combat stress. Even if you are right in the middle of a battle, just step back and take a few deep breaths and you will find that your heart beat starts to slow and you feel better and more relaxed.
- Classes – whether you head off to the gym in the morning or you pop in a DVD at home, exercise classes are a great way to spend even 30 minutes of your day.
- Walk the dog – obviously if you don’t have a pooch, just take yourself for a walk. Either way, you will reap many benefits from getting outside and moving your legs.
- Laugh – even if you feel like crying because the grocery store is out of whatever spice you absolutely have to have for your dessert. This time of year is supposed to be about family and counting your blessings, so laugh in the face of the things you can’t control, laugh in the face of the things you can and just enjoy yourself and the time that you have with your family.
Do you use any of these ideas to help calm your nerves already? Do you have any other tried-and-true recipes for de-stressing? We would love to hear from you in the comments below. From all of us here at Aurorae, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and have a Very Healthy & Warm New Year!