With only four more days left in 2013, you know what that means… the time has come to finalize any and all New Years resolutions you may have. New Years resolutions involve everything from paying down credit cards to remembering special days (i.e. Birthdays, anniversaries, etc.), with the number one resolution every year for Americans is to lose weight.
Whether losing weight is a resolution you continue to set for yourself or just one you have chosen for 2014, you can easily accomplish your goal if you follow the steps below.
1. Set realistic goals – let’s face it, New Years resolutions are as easy to make as they are to break. However, they are much more easily attained if you set realistic goals for yourself. If you make all or nothing deals, you will likely find that you don’t make it past the first month. Instead set goals for each week, month and the year as a whole. That means setting things like running three days a week, learning two new healthy meal recipes for the month and losing X amount of weight by the end of the year.
2. Stick to it
– just because you fall off the wagon one day and go against your diet or exercise plan doesn’t mean you can’t pick yourself up and have a new day tomorrow. So if you eat that donut at the work meeting or miss your kickboxing class because of a deadline, don’t beat yourself up
. Just recognize that tomorrow you may need to work a little harder and there is nothing wrong with taking a break every now and then.
3. Tell others about your goals
– if you share your plans with family and friends you are more likely to stick to them. If no one else knows what you want for yourself you don’t have someone to hold you accountable if you start slacking, plus then they don’t know that they may be hindering your goals by offering you certain foods or keeping you from going to workout. So put it on your Facebook
, Pinterest or whatever other social media count you are apart of. You know you post everything else on there anyway so why not your resolutions?
4. Appreciate the small improvements – no six pack of abs or toned calf muscles were established in a day. A fit body takes dedication, exercise and healthy eating. So make small changes and recognize the effects they are having on your body such as a smaller waist line or being able to lift more weight.
Losing weight is possible if you are willing to make the necessary changes to your lifestyle. So set small, manageable goals and find a buddy to help you. Before you know it, you will have accomplished your resolution and created a new, healthy lifestyle for yourself. What are your New Years resolutions for 2014? Comment below, we would love to know what goals you hope to accomplish in the new year!