I love the new year. It’s a great time to make your annual goals and set yourself up for success. Whether it’s your health, your career, your relationships or just your every day life, we are granted this opportunity to always start anew (sidenote: don’t get me wrong, you can start “anew” any day of the year. Society just offers us a date to let us share it with others). One of my goals for this year was to get back on track and stay hydrated throughout the day. Water is so important to my physical and mental well-being, that everything else in my life really becomes secondary. I’ve also become infatuated with my Glasstic Shatterproof Glass Water Bottle, so it’s become a lot easier for me to drink water on the go! I just wanted to point out some of the reasons why staying hydrated is so important to me:
- Your body depends on water for survival
- We lose water every time we use the bathroom, sweat and even when we breathe!
- We lose more water when we’re physically active – and I am active every single day
- Dehydration can lead to weight gain, fatigue, bad breath, sugar cravings, dry skin, headaches, make you cold, and even affect your neurological well-being. In other words, it brings you down!
- Understand symptoms of dehydration: bright yellow urine, fatigue, dizziness, headaches.
- Invest in a reusable water bottle like my Glasstic Water Bottle so you always have a container you can fill up on the go
- Fill up your glass water bottle before you leave the house. Why do I say glass? Because certain plastics can break down over time and enter the water that you’re drinking. Ew! Some plastics contain chemicals we don’t even want to speak of. (Non-BPA)
- Cut back on sugary drink including alcohol. Although these are liquids, they are dehydrating liquids.
- Eat your fruits and vegetables! You can actually get a decent amount of water just by eating fresh fruit and vegetables.
- If you don’t like the taste of water, or it gets boring, then add some lemon or lemon essential oils to your water. (TIP: Another great reason to use a glass water bottle is if you plan to add any citrus essential oils in your water, then you won’t have to worry about them breaking down the plastic, which they do)
- Make a water drinking schedule. Set an alarm so you know when you need to drink 8oz of water!
If you’re wondering why I didn’t tell you how many glasses of water I drink each day, it’s because it will vary from person to person. It will depend on your weight, activity level, and even just the makeup of your body and how you digest. So, make sure you understand the signs of dehydration and shoot to drink at least eight glasses of water per day. Whether you need more or less, you should consult with your doctor. These are just opinions of my own and I hope that adding “stay hydrated” to your goals is on your list this year!