Love is in the air! This Valentine’s Day, maybe skip the expensive dinner date and go to a partner yoga class. Or, maybe do both! Here are 5 reasons to practice partner yoga with the one you love:
- Partner yoga is FUN. The nature of it is playful and lighthearted. Endorphins will be released as you are lifted into the air and go upside down; you can act like a kid again! This practice is joyful in and of itself, and when you share it with someone you love, that joy is multiplied.
- It builds trust. When you are doing partner yoga, you lose the stability of being on the ground on your own two feet. There is a huge element of trust involved in allowing someone else to completely physically support you, or in completely supporting someone else. I remember one of the first times I did partner yoga, and our teacher had me doing a backbend upside down on my partners feet. I told my partner I was feeling scared, and he said, “I won’t drop you.” I had to let go of my fear and trust him, and it felt great. We also had a spotter, who keeps you safe as you fly, which helps as well!
- It teaches you to communicate. Partner yoga is all about communication. You must communicate with your partner when you are feeling anxious and need a break, when you are feeling great and want to continue, and what your next move will be so that they can be ready for you. Vise versa, you must listen to your partner and be ready for their movements. These skills of listening and communicating are obviously useful in other areas of your relationship as well!
- It’s a good workout. Partner yoga can be acrobatic and aerobic. It is a total body workout for both partners, with a huge focus on core strength. Working out with your partner has proven benefits!
- It builds community. Partner yoga is about more than just you and your partner. You will get to know the teachers, your spotters, and your fellow students in the class. My partner and I, being in New Orleans, became a part of the wonderful Acro NOLA community, and many cities now have AcroYoga groups that meet regularly! Being a part of a fitness community is a hugely rewarding experience and it’s one that you and your partner can both benefit from!
Get out there and try some partner yoga and let us know what you think of it!